With age, seniors often begin to experience both mental and physical changes that alter the way they’re able to perform daily responsibilities. Although some seniors may not need full time, 24 hour care and monitoring, professional caregivers can be instrumental in the lives of seniors, taking on minimal duties to ensure proper care and well-being. Their work is often a crucial component to helping seniors maintain their independence and freedom as they age.
If you’re considering in-home care in Grand Rapids for an aging parent or loved one, here are the top 5 ways professional caregivers make life at home more manageable for seniors:
- Provide Transportation – Caregivers are able to provide reliable transportation to doctor’s appointments, the grocery store, and recreational activities to help the senior maintain an active and healthy lifestyle without feeling limited. It allows the senior the flexibility to get out of the house whenever they need, helping preserve their regular routines.
- Manage Medications – To prevent mistakes with dosages and to ensure that medications are taken at the proper time, caregivers provide medication reminders to ensure there are no mix-ups. The senior and their family members can have peace of mind knowing that the patient is following his or her prescribed medication regimen.
- Monitor Changes in Patient’s Condition – Professional hourly and live-in caregivers in Grand Rapids are able to monitor a patient’s condition on a consistent basis, allowing them to better identify potentially threatening problems and to ensure that the senior remains healthy and happy. Any changes in their emotional or physical condition can be reported to the family as well as the senior’s doctor.
- Prepare Meals – With age, preparing meals can be a challenge when limited mobility is a problem or when the senior is unsure of how to prepare healthy meals. Caregivers are able to assist with grocery shopping and can offer a helping hand or take over cooking responsibilities to ensure that a well-balanced diet plan is in place for greater longevity.
- Offer Emotional Support – For many seniors, entering the golden years often means suffering from loneliness and depression with an absence of loved ones or close family around. A caregiver who comes on a regular basis can provide emotional support to the senior for a healthy relationship that is crucial to overall emotional well-being. Caregiver visits also give the senior something to look forward to, helping to lift one’s spirits.
These are just some of the benefits of hiring a home caregiver to assist your loved one in Grand Rapids. To learn more about the services provided by Home Care Assistance, contact us today. In addition to hourly and live-in care, we also provide post-stroke, Parkinson’s, dementia and Alzheimer’s home care in Grand Rapids for seniors who may need specialty care and assistance. Schedule a complimentary in-home consultation today by calling 616-243-0835 and speak to one of our devoted Care Managers.